Dance again

Learning to dance to new music is both unnerving and exhilarating. I am enjoying this new journey more than I could have imagined, even though I have no idea where I am headed. That actually may be the exhilarating part!

Wednesday, December 7, 2011

The Great Debut!

I sold my first piece of jewelry at my debut in the city and courthouse I began my law career 22 years ago but this time at a craft fair rather than a courtroom.  It could have been non-eventful...my first sale.  But my life is filled with eventful..  It could have been just anyone and I might not have been there to witness it had it been earlier or later by only an hour.  Heather was my first customer's name and as I shyly told her about the jewelry I make and why it was accompanied by an inspirational writing, she became overjoyed.  She shared with me that she was going through a divorce, a rough patch and the "I am Resilient" piece spoke to her.  As we read the words I had written, she seemed genuinely delighted in the message and said the words were exactly what she needed to hear.  She showered me with compliments on the jewelry and writing as she put the piece on.  She left wearing it after we exchanged hugs. She left me with the words "God Bless You.  It was a moment I will never forget because in that moment I felt the touch of God's hand in the whole encounter.  I think I was as emotional as Heather.  My dearest friend and cohort in the craft fair and I did our "happy dance", not because I sold a piece necessarily, but that my first piece had such an impact on someone.  It was all I hoped for and I could not have scripted it as good as God did.  I think at that moment I felt confident that I was heading in the right direction. I was beginning to wonder whether these pieces and my writing would be met with skepticism or embraced.  But, I just can't help but think who doesn't spiritual guidance or encouragment these days?  Who doesn't need to be reminded of what is important in a world where we are distracted by so much?  All of my usual crazy doubts were quieted at least for the moment.  How is it that just when I need it, I am graced with a gift like this again and again and a gentle reminder that God has his hand on me always, waiting for me to notice. Amazing.

This piece was inspired by the gift I inherited from my mother.  Things may not always go as planned.  Sometimes life is hard, but no matter what it is important to get back up when knocked down, dust off, handle the situation with grace and dignity and move on, humbled and healed.  It is the essence of resiliency.

No comments:

Post a Comment